I am trying to find a place to recycle my waste toner from our copier at work.
Do you have any suggestions on where I can drop off waste toner in Indianapolis — or companies that might even pick up?
Toner cartridge fun facts:
- The average laser printer cartridge can be remanufactured 3-4 times.
- Studies have shows that the carbon footprint of a recycled laser cartridge is up to 1/3 less than that of a new cartridge.
- Nearly 70% of empty printer cartridges are tossed in the trash.
- A printer cartridge can take 500-1000 years to decompose in a landfill (though I’m not sure how they know that since printers haven’t been around that long…)
- HP has produced more than 1.5 billion cartridges that contain recycled materials.
If you want to support a small, locally-owned business, you can drop off your cartridges at a place like Indy Ink and Toner in Avon.
Cartridge World on West 86th Street works with a few schools and churches that recycle cartridges for fundraisers. Drop your cartridges off and ask that the proceeds go to a nonprofit or set up your own fundraising program.
But if you’re just looking for a convenient place to drop off your cartridges, HP partners with a few chains that will accept them and you can even earn store credit through their rewards programs. I happened to stumble upon some Bonus Rewards from Staples this week if that’s your printer supply store of choice.
Fun fact sources: Cartridge World web site and HP web site.