Chlorine is not naturally found in the environment. It is a man made chemical that is used in water disinfection for water treatment facilities, and manufacturing. When released into the environment due to various reasons the chlorine reacts quickly with other several chemicals, evaporates, or is broken down due to the sun.
Exposure to chlorine in the environment is very low due to the highly reactivity of the molecule. There could be exposure due to an accident that has occurred when using chlorine. The last way of exposure is within the workplace that uses chlorine.
Low-level exposure to chlorine can cause mild irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat. When there is high exposure to chlorine this can cause chest discomfort, fluid in the lungs, or death. This type of exposure is very rare.
For More Information Regarding Chlorine: